A.B. U. Wooster (OH), 1884; A.M., 1887; Ph.D., 1892; Litt.D., 1916; L.H.D. Wabash Coll., 1923.
Prof. Lat. Coll. of Emporia (KS), 1884-91; Williams prof., later Thomson prof. Lat. lang. & lit. Wabash Coll., 1891-1916.
"The Pronoun in Latin, Etymology and Signification" (College of Wooster, 1892)
The Medea of Seneca (Crawfordsville, IN, 1896; rev. ed., 1900); Three Tragedies of Seneca (New York, 1908); Selected Orations and Letters of Cicero (New York, 1910); Pliny. Selected Letters (Chicago & New York, 1911); Appendix of Proper Names, Lewis and Short's Elementary Latin Dictionary (New York, 1915).
Hugh MacMaster Kingery, during his 25 years at Wabash College, "continued the best traditions of Latin learning and instruction," in the words of the College newspaper. As well as being an outstanding teacher, he was known as an editor of texts and developed a national reputation for his publications in the classics. These included widely used annotated editions which came at a time when they were sorely needed. In the early 1900s he fought bitterly and unsuccessfully, along with his Greek colleague Henry Zwingli McLain, against the reduction of classics in the Wabash currriculum. The rift caused by the administration's decision divided the Wabash faculty for the next decade. Kingery loved books, outdoor life, and good fellowship. He and his friends canoed many miles in the area. His name has been preserved on the Wabash College campus. A building, erected in 1854 to serve as the normal and preparatory department, had been converted to the residence of the Kingery family. It was renovated in 1940, was gutted by fire in 1980, and was later restored. Appropriately, it now bears the name of Kingery Hall and houses the Department of Classics.
John F. Charles, Tentative and Informal History of the Wabash Classics Department (photocopied, 1985); CJ 22 (1926-7) 542; Postgraduate and Wooster Quarterly 6 (1892) 296; WhAm 1:678-9.