“Compounds of the Word 'Cow': A Study in Semantics” (Pennsylvania, 1923).
The son and grandson of Methodist ministers, Alfred P. Hamilton was a devoted teacher at Millsaps and an enthusiastic supporter of CAMWS, serving as president of the Southern Section in 1942 and as first vice-president in 1945. He undertook the maintenance of communication between Latin teachers in the state and served as a source of teaching materials and information as state vice-president for CAMWS. He was active in the cultural life of Jackson, served on the local board of education, and wrote a history of his Methodist church. At his retirement in 1958 the faculty established the Alfred Porter Hamilton Chair of Classical Languages.
Willliam T. Jolly, CJ 60 (1964-5) 143; The Story of Jackson: Biographical Sketches of the Builders of Mississippi (Jackson, 1953) 2:450-3.