- AAR = American Academy in Rome
- ACLS = American Council of Learned Societies
- AIA = Archaeological Institute of America
- APA = American Philological Association
- ASCSA = American School for Classical Studies at Athens
- asso. prof. = associate professor
- asst. prof. = assistant professor
- CAMWS = Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- CAMWS-SS = Classical Association of the Middle West and South, Southern Section
- IAS = Institute for Advanced Study
- ICCSR = Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies, Rome
- LSU = Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
- NEH = National Endowment for the Humanities
- NYU = New York University
- prof. = professor
- SUNY = State University of New York
- UCLA = University of California at Los Angeles
- vis. = visiting
Periodical abbreviations generally follow those in Année philologique, which are readily available online:
http://www.annee-philologique.com/files/sigles_fr.pdf [with journal full titles]
Below please find a list of the variant or additional periodical abbreviations in the Database of Classical Scholars:
- CP = Classical Philology.
- HSCP = Harvard Studies in Classical Philology.
- SM = Southern Magazine = New Eclectic Magazine.
- TAPA = Transactions of the American Philological Association.