B.A. U. Toronto, 1917; M.A., 1920; Ph.D. U. Chicago, 1922.
Lctr. class. U. Toronto, 1918-20; lctr. to prof, class. U. Alberta, 1920-64; head dept. class., 1938-64.
“Greek Epigrammatists at Rome in the First Century B.C.” (Chicago, 1922); printed, Journal of the Graduate School of Arts and Literature (Chicago, 1923).
“On Ovid Am. ii.19 and iii.4,” CP 18 (1923) 263-4; “The Hellenica Oxyrhynchia and the Devastation of Attica,” CP 21 (1926) 346-55; The Greek and Roman World (Toronto, 1962); Our Heritage from the Past (Toronto, 1964); several novels, including The City of Libertines (Toronto, 1957); about 100 short stories and articles in the popular press, including six on “Education in Alberta.”
W. G. Hardy served in the Department of Classics, University of Alberta, for 44 years, and as chairman for 26 of them, during the period of its greatest growth. His publications, both as a popularizer and educator in the classics and as a creative writer, reveal him as a humanist and pedagogue above all, but a man with a sound footing in the technical aspects of his subject.
CANWW 10 (1964-6) 457-8; Who Was Who at the University of Alberta.