A.B. U. Toronto, 1892; study at ASCSR & Vatican Library, 1895-7; Ph.D. U. Chicago, 1901; Litt. D. U. Toronto, 1925; LL.D. Colorado Coll., 1925.
Classics master, Collegiate Inst. (Collingwood, ON), 1893; Lindsay, 1894; asst. Lat. U. Chicago, 1897-8; head Lat. dept. Lewis Inst. (Chicago), 1898-1901; prof. Lat. Washington U., 1901-41; dir. div. univ. ext., 1914-31; dir. summ. sess., 1923-5; dean Univ. Coll., 1915-32; Coll. Lib. Arts, 1932-7; sch. grad. stud., 1937-41; ann. prof. AAR, 1928-9; pres. ALA, 1913-7; chair, board of publication, Art and Archaeology 1917-8; ed. Bull. AIA, 1912; gen. ed., Washington U. Studies, 1937-41; pres. CAMWS, 1934-5.
"A Palaeographical Study of an Unused MS of Livy, Cod. Regin. 762" (Chicago, 1901); printed "Certain Sources of Corruption in Latin Manuscripts; A Study based upon Two Manuscripts of Livy: Codex Puteanus (Fifth Century), and its Copy Codex Reginensis 762 (Ninth Century)," AJA 8 (1903) 1-25, 157-97, 405-28; (New York, 1904).
"Numerical Corruptions in aNinth Century MS. of Livy," TAPA 33 (1902) 45-54; "Studies in the MSS of the Third Decade of Livy," CP 4 (1909) 405-19; 5 (1910) 19-27; "The Treatment of Dactylic Words in the Rhythmic Prose of Cicero, with Special Reference to the Sense Pauses," TAPA 41 (1910) 139-56; "The Heroic Clausula in Cicero and Quintilian," CP 6 (1911) 410-8; "Preferred and Avoided Combinations of the Enclitic -que in Cicero," CP 8 (1913) 23-47; "Hiatus, Elision, and Caesura in Vergil's Hexameter," TAPA 55 (1924) 137-58; Velleius Paterculus and Res Gestae Divi Augusti (trans.), LCL (New York & London, 1924); "The Virgilian Authorship of the Helen Episode, Aeneid II, 567-88," TAPA 56 (1925) 172-84; "Ovidian Vocabulary and the Culex Question," TAPA 57 (1926) 261-74; Papers on Classical Subjects in Memory of John Max Wülfing (ed.), Washington University Studies, New Series. Language and Literature, No. 3 (St. Louis, 1930); "Chronology of Building Operations in Rome from the Death of Caesar to the Death of Augustus," MAAR 9 (1931) 1-60, with 2 tables; Agrippa's Building Activities in Rome, Washington University Studies, New Series. Language and Literature, no. 4 (St. Louis, 1933); "Problems of the Latin Hexameter, TAPA 69 (1938) 134-60.Festschrift: Studies in Honor of Frederick W. Shipley. Washington University Studies, New Series. Language and Literature, no. 14 (St. Louis, 1942).
Frederick William Shipley's scholarly interests were wide-ranging, from Latin palaeography, epigraphy, and the archaeology of the city of Rome, to Virgil, Latin prose, and medieval Latin. As a result of his studies at the American Academy in Rome he produced a monograph on the sources of corruption in Latin manuscripts which was quickly recognized as a standard work, and his knowledge of the ancient monuments later led to publications on the Augustan building program. But the work for which he will be mostly widely remembered is the Loeb Velleius Paterculus and Res Gestae Divi Augusti. Herein Shipley's skills as editor, translator, literary critic, and historian are all successfully brought to bear on the difficult prose style of Velleius' historical compendium and on the greatest of Augustan documents, the Res Gestae, whose main surviving copy, the Monumentum Ancyranum, was described by Mommsen as "The Queen of Inscriptions." Of his publications the translation of Velleius remains the only one in English of this important source for the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius; the study of Augustan construction contains two very useful tables with 172 entries of datable structures and 29 which are undated; and the Res Gestae translation continues to serve the needs of undergraduates.To accommodate the many who, because of employment, could attend only evening classes, he founded the Extension Division of Washington University and was its administrator and then dean of its successor entity, University College, in the years 1915-32. He next became dean of the College of Liberal Arts and finally dean of the School of Graduate Studies. Shipley also left his mark on the institution in another striking way. When he joined the faculty in 1901 the new campus which forms the quadrangle was under construction, and Brookings Hall, with its great Gothic tower, was the dominant structure. The epistyle over the western side of the archway required a statement to bracket the great clock and the available evidence indicates that Shipley selected it. The inscription reads: FVGIVNT HORAE—OPERA MANENT, and it is the perfect admonition to all scholars, even if few of them today can appreciate it.
NatCAB 17:410; Eugene Tavenner, CJ 40 (1944-5) 385-6, with portrait; idem, PAPA 76 (1945) xxvii-xxviii.