A.B. Barnard, 1903; fell. ASCSR, 1906-7; Ph.D. Johns Hopkins, 1929.
Instr. to asso. prof, class. Hunter Coll., 1907-29; asso. prof, to prof, class. Brooklyn Coll., 1929-37; asst. to director, foreign languages publications, Commission on Public Information, 1917-8; with Belgian Official Information Service & ed. Belgian Bulletin, 1918-9; hon. attache to Belgian embassy in U.S.; pres. CAAS, 1921-2; fell. AAAS; medal of merit, Bicentennial Celebration of Excavation at Pompeii, 1948; Chevalier, Order of Leopold II (Belgium).
"The Common People of Pompeii" (Johns Hopkins, 1929); printed as The Common People of Pompeii: A Study of the Graffiti (Baltimore, 1939).
"Juvenal on Education," in Essays and Studies in Honor of Margaret Barclay Wilson (New York, 1922); The Villas of Pliny the Younger (New York, 1924); "The Humanity of the Romans," PAPA 57 (1926) xxiii-xxiv; C. Huelsen, The Forum and the Palatine (trans.) (New York, 1928); Latin Visualized: Films Illustrating Roman Civilization (n.p., n.d.); Erasmi Roterdami Encomium Moriae (trans.), intro. H. A. Schmid (Basle, 1931); Selected Letters of Pliny the Younger (New York, 1936).
Helen H. Tanzer combined the teaching of Latin literature and certain aspects of Roman archaeology. By the time she completed her Ph.D. she already had a number of publications to her credit as well as Latin Visualized, films illustrating Roman civilization with descriptive manuals. While at Brooklyn College she wrote an introduction to a facsimile of Erasmus' Praise of Folly, which had Hans Holbein's marginal drawings, and published her edition of Pliny's letters. Miss Tanzer was a member of local, regional, and national classical organizations. In the midst of her teaching and research she somehow found time to work with the Belgian Information Service and to edit the Belgian Bulletin. She was made an honorary attaché to the Belgian embassy, and a member of the Belgian Legion of Honor, and received the Chevalier Order of Leopold.
NYTimes (24 Dec. 1961) 36; WhWh 1958-9:2724.
Image: Barnard Alumnae Magazine, March 1956, p18.
AUTHORJohn Francis Latimer