A.B. NY State Coll. Tchrs. (Albany), 1917; A.M. (English) Wellesley Coll., 1920; Ph.D. Columbia, 1938.
Instr. Lat. NY State Coll. Tchrs. (now University at Albany, SUNY), 1918-27; asst. prof, to prof. Gk. & Lat., 1929-62; chair dept. one. langs. & lit. 1929-62; chair div. hum., 1962-5.
"The Notes on Philosophy in the 'Commentary' of Servius on the 'Eclogues,' the 'Georgics,' and the 'Aeneid' of Vergil" (Columbia, 1938); printed (New York, 1938)
Edith Owen Wallace was a leading educator and classicist whose association with the New York State College for Teachers at Albany, and its successor, the State University of New York at Albany, lasted over a half-century. At Columbia University she studied under Nelson Glenn McCrea and Frank Gardner Moore. At her alma mater in the 1930s she created the M.A. degree program in Latin at the request of President Abram Brubacher. In 1961 she helped establish the studies program in comparative literature which became a department in 1963. In recognition of her long and distinguished service she was honored posthumously in the rededication of the Humanities Building bearing her name. The Edith O. Wallace Fund was also established for the acquisition of books on the classics for the university library. Long associated with the promotion of classical learning in the schools of New York State, Dr. Wallace served in 1951 on the committee appointed by the Board of Regents of New York to create a syllabus to improve the program in Latin. The Syllabus in Latin issued by the Bureau of Secondary Curriculum Development of the New York State Education Department was published in 1956.
University at Albany, SUNY, archives; Mary G. Goggin; Lois V. Williams.