A.B. Wittenberg U., 1942; B.D. Lutheran Theol. Sem. (Philadelphia), 1945; Ph.D., Johns Hopkins, 1947.
ASCSA, 1951-52; hon. M.A. Dartmouth, 1968; instr. classics Yale 1947-52; asst. prof. 1952-55; vis. asst. prof. U. Virginia, 1955-56; assoc. Archaeol. ASCSA, 1956-58; vis. asst. prof. Classics & archaeology, U. Missouri, 1958-59; asst. prof. Classics, Dartmouth Coll., 1959-63; assoc. prof., 1963-67; prof. 1967-90; chair dept., 1963-67; Yale fell. 1951-52; Guggenheim fell., 1956-57; Am. Philosoph. Soc. Grant, 1957-58, 1963-64; lectr. AIA, 1958-73; Fell. Am. Council Learned Soc., 1963-64; res. Assoc. Inst. Adv. Study, 1968-69; mem. adv. council, AAR
“Greek Household Religion” (Johns Hopkins, 1947).
“An Epic Theme in Greek Art,” AJA 55 (1951) 155-156; “An Epic Theme in Greek Art,” AJA 58 (1954) 285-306; “New Studies of the Parthenon Frieze in Athens,” AJA 63 (1959) 191-2; "The Date of the Parthenon Frieze,” AJA 67 (1963) 219; “Fauvel's Model of the Parthenon and Some Drawings of Gell from the Time of the Elgin Mission, 1801-03,” AJA 78 (1974) 184-185; “Catilinarians I and II: Rhetoric and the Visual Image," NECN 10,1 (1992-3) 20-23.
Matthew Wiencke was raised in Nebraska and was ordained into the Lutheran Church body that was the predecessor of the present Evangelical Lutheran Church of America in 1945, the same year that he received his bachelor of divinity degree. After a brief stint at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, he taught for nearly a decade at Yale where, as a Lutheran clergyman, he served as contact pastor and adviser to the university's Lutheran Student Association. Following his wedding, he spent a year at the University of Missouri in Columbia before moving to Dartmouth, where he taught Latin and classical archaeology and established the department's foreign study program in Greece, which he himself conducted for a number of years. His specialty was teaching classical art and in particular the sculptures of the Parthenon in Athens. His versatility was such that when he retired in 1990, the college replaced him with two full-time professors. Professor Wiencke served a term as executive secretary of the Classical Association of New England and taught frequently in its annual summer Classics Institute at Dartmouth. He served as Dartmouth's representative to the board of the American Academy at Rome. He and his wife moved to Thetford from Hanover in 1960, and from 1970 until this year Professor Wiencke served as town moderator. He also had been a trustee of Thetford Academy for many years, and was chairman of the board in the 1980s. He was an ardent gardener and is remembered as a devoted husband, father, teacher and friend.
DAS 6th ed., 3:502; APA Newsletter (April 1997) 31.