North American Scholar
WILLIAMS, Lois Virginia
A.B., Beaver Coll., 1935; M.A. U. Pennsylvania, 1939; Ph.D., Johns Hopkins, 1946; Rome Prize, AAR, 1947-48; study at ASCSA .
- Professional Experience:
Montrose Sch. For Girls, (Montrose, PA) Juniata College (Huntingdon, PA) Instr. Class., New York State Coll. For Teachers (Albany), 1948-64; prof., 1964-79; pres., Eastern Zone Latin Teachers Assn., 1954-56.
“The Venus Cult: A Study Based upon the Writings of Suetonius and Tacitus” (Johns Hopkins, 1946).
Professor Emerita Lois V. Williams, graduated summa cum laude from Beaver College (now Arcadia University). She joined the APA in 1943 and spent her career at the New York State College for Teachers (now University of Albany, SUNY). In addition to Latin language and literature courses, Dr. Williams taught Medieval Latin prose and poetry, Greek and Roman religions, and Roman topography to students who were planning teaching careers in Latin. For many years, Professor Williams was a highly recognized Classicist in New York State for her role in promoting the study of Latin in its schools. In 1991, The Classical Association of the Empire State presented Professor Williams with the Morton E. Spillenger Award in recognition of her lifelong advancement of Latin through her teaching and involvement in professional organizations. She had been President of the Eastern Zone Latin Teachers Association from 1954-1956 and later served on the Executive Council of the Classical Association of the Empire State. She contributed to The New York State Syllabus for Latin (Albany, 1971). In 1993, Professor Williams established a scholarship fund at Albany High School to support a graduating senior who would continue the study of Latin and the Classics in college. After teaching briefly at the Montrose School for Girls in Montrose, and Juniata College in Huntingdon, both in Pennsylvania, she joined the faculty at the New York State College for Teachers at Albany in 1948 as an Instructor in Classics. The Department of Ancient Languages at that time consisted of Dr. Edith Owen Wallace (1896-1972), the Chairwoman, and Dr. Mary G. Goggin (1908-2001). Professor Williams was promoted to Professor in 1964 as the College developed into the State University of New York at Albany and later the University of Albany, SUNY.
APA Newsletter (August 2001) 16-17.
- Author: Emil J. Polak